The Bancroft campus located at 1755 Newton Street, NW, Washington, DC 20010, consists of five adjoining buildings totaling approximately 94,000 square feet of space. The original building was constructed in 1923, with additions constructed in 1932, 1938, 1961, and 1973. Although the buildings are adjoining, they consist of various misaligned levels and present a number of operational challenges.
The project at hand is intended to make the various buildings on campus more unified both operationally and administratively. To achieve this goal demolition and rebuilding of some of the buildings may be necessary. Existing buildings that are not demolished will be renovated and provided with features such as ramps and elevators that improve the lateral and vertical transport between the buildings.
Additionally the project will provide spaces in line with the program requirements set in the DCPS Educational Specifications. Accordingly besides classrooms, spaces such as Media Center, Indoor Play, Auditorium, and Art Room will be provided. The program for Bria, an associated but independent operation with a Parents' Center, will also receive a portion of the space allocation. The Electrical, Mechanical and Life Safety systems of the entire building will be upgraded to meet the current building code requirements and the Ed Specifications performance requirements.
It is anticipated that some level of swing space will be required in order to accommodate students temporarily displaced by the Project. The modernized campus will serve approximately 550 students. The Project shall be designed in such a way as to achieve, at a minimum, LEED for Schools - Gold Certification.
Program Manager: DGS - Mesfin Wolde Medhin
- Bancroft Elementary School Community Meeting Presentation (June 9, 2016)
- Bancroft Elementary School Comments & Responses
- Bancroft Elementary School Modernization Community Meeting 1-12-16
- Bancroft ES Modernization SIT Meeting Minutes 9-28-2015
- Bancroft Elementary School SIT Meeting Sign-in Sheet - June 25, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary School SIT Meeting Presentation - June 25, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary School SIT Meeting Minutes - June 25, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary School Community Meeting - June 11, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary School Modernization Community Meeting 5/21/2015
- Bancroft Elementary School Community Meeting Flyer May 21, 2014
- Bancroft Elementary School SIT Meeting Presentation - April 29, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary School SIT Meeting - March 18, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary Community Meeting Presentation - January 12, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary Community Meeting - January 12, 2015
- Bancroft Elementary SIT Meeting #2 Sign-in sheet
- Bancroft SIT #2 Minutes - Design Pattern Summary
- Bancroft ES Site Plan Phasing Schedule 11-12-14
- Bancroft Elementary School FY14 Phase 1 Preliminary Project Schedule 2-27-14
- Bancroft Elementary School - School Improvement Team (SIT) Coordination and Process Overview 2-27-14
- Bancroft Elementary School Phase 1 Modernization SIT Meeting No.1 Minutes 2-27-14
- Bancroft Elementary School FY14 Phase l Modernization Sign-in Sheet 2-27-14
- Bancroft Elementary School Modernization Project Feasibility Study 1-27-14