Under the DC Healthy Schools Act of 2010, DGS is responsible for a variety of activities designed to ensure that schools are healthy, safe places to learn. These include programs on recycling and composting, energy reduction, drinking water testing, indoor air quality, and integrated pest management.
The DCPS Recycles! Equipment Order form is now available online!
2017-2018 DCPS Recycles! Equipment Catalog
DCPS Recycles! Equipment Order Form
Upload completed order forms to this folder or email to [email protected].
To receive equipment and supplies by January 2018, schools must submit a completed form by November 3. After this date, supply order requests will be accepted on a rolling basis.
PRINCIPALS: Fill out the principal delegate form to delegate your school's leadership, operations, and education recycling contacts for SY17-18! This form must be completed in order for your school to order new equipment.
MAINTENANCE FIELD TRIP: All DCPS maintenance and operations employees are invited to join DGS on November 14th from 9am - 2pm for a professional development field trip to the PG County Materials Recycling Facility. Sign up here.
Remember—REPORT issues in Salesforce! Create a work order request if your school has any missed pickups or other issues with your recycling, organics, or waste collection services.
About DCPS Recycles!
The DCPS Recycles! program is designed to fulfill legal requirements; improve building operations; reduce waste of money and natural resources; achieve the SustainableDC target of zero waste by 2032; and teach DCPS students values and skills for a sustainable 21st century. The goal is to sort all waste properly so as much as possible can be composted or recycled instead of sent to a landfill or incinerator!
How is DCPS Doing?
Explore our DCPS Recycles! interactive maps. The maps show that many schools across all eight wards are successfully recycling – and that many schools are not. Select a school on the map to learn more about its participation in the DCPS Recycles! program.
To achieve compliance with DC Municipal Regulations and the Healthy Schools Act, all DCPS schools are expected to sort and collect paper recyclables, mixed recyclables, and non-recyclable trash in accordance with the city-wide hauling contract managed by DGS. In schools that voluntarily opt-in, schools also sort organics (food scraps and soiled paper).
- Everyone is expected to participate. All staff and students are to sort waste into bins according to labels and instructions provided.
- Teachers are responsible for ensuring blue classroom bins are used for PAPER ONLY.
- Custodial staff is responsible for collection. Custodial staff is NOT responsible for sorting. If one person puts trash in a recycling bin, everything in it becomes trash.
- Anyone can advocate! Ask your principal who is the delegated administrator responsible for your school’s recycling program.
Classrooms and offices should each have a bin for collecting PAPER ONLY. Common areas may have bins for sorting mixed recyclables and/or paper recyclables. In schools recycling organics, cafeterias and kitchens have bins for sorting organics, mixed recyclables and trash.
DGS provides pick up services, standardized supplies, and on-site support. Click on the links below for more information and resources.
Contact: Beth Gingold, Schools Conservation Coordinator, 202-727-3587 [email protected]
Review Waste Management Procedures SY16-17 for more details.
- 5 Steps to Recycle Right
- Leadership Roles & Responsiblities
- Supplies, Liner, Signs & Labels
- Hauling Services
- Teacher & Environmental Educator Resources
- Competitions and Challenges
- Organics Recycling Program
- Success Stories
- Performance Data
- Recycling at Events in DCPS Buildings
- Design Guidance for Construction Teams
- Technical Assistance to Charter Schools
- DCPS Recycles! Waste Management Procedures
- DCPS Recycles! Honorees (by the year)
- DCPS Recycles! Honor Roll Self Assessment
- DCPS Recycles! Acceptable Materials List
- Supplies Set-Up Cheat Sheet
- Collection SOP Template
- Hauling Services Cheat Sheet
- Hauling Services Schedule School-Specific Template
- Classroom and Common Areas Cheat Sheet
- Cafeteria Sorting Cheat Sheet
- Kitchen Sorting Cheat Sheet
Stay up-to-date! Join the DCPS Recycles! Mailing List.
Interested in volunteering with us? Sign-Up to receive information about volunteer opportunities.
- Buildsmart DC
- Sprint to Savings Website
- DGS Invites DC Public Schools To Sign-Up For The 2nd Annual Sprint to Savings Energy Competition