The Department of General Services’ Protective Services Division (PSD) provides 24-hour security and Special Police services that support District government operations, protection of employees, resources, and facilities at approximately 840 District-owned and leased properties. Services include patrol operations, contract security guard management, and electronic security systems, and access control.
PSD assists District and Federal agencies during special events and criminal investigations. In addition, PSD is responsible for responding to Additional Security Requests (ASR) from other District agencies. ASRs can be for temporary events or permanent security enhancements. The ASRs for additional security are processed by the Administrative Services Section and approved by PSD command staff.
Summary of Services
• Provide physical and electronic security at District-owned and leased properties
• Monitor CCTV cameras, alarms, and access control devices through our 24/7 Central Communication Center
• Facilitates workplace violence training for District agencies
By the Numbers
• Provides security with a force of 650 career service and contract officers
• Conducts approximately 80 facility vulnerability risk assessments each year
• Responds to approximately 250 temporary additional security requests by district agencies for emergency/incident response, and event coverage annually