The Portfolio Division of DGS provides multiple services to both District agencies and its constituents.
DGS Portfolio Overview
Portfolio both manages and secures over three million square feet of contracted Lease space for 84 agencies throughout all eight Wards of the District.
|Property Type||Number of Leases||Square Footage|
|Clinics / Housing||3||12,546|
|Parking and Land||4||236,542|
DGS Real Estate Functions
DGS carries out a broad range of real estate management functions. In addition to managing Capital Improvement and Construction programs for a variety of District government Agencies, DGS also:
- Executes real property acquisitions by purchase or lease
- Disposes of property through sale, lease or other authorized method
- Manages space in buildings and adjacent areas
- Implementation of strategic real estate plans
- End to end service delivery of all real estate
- Work with members of Client-Agency management to forecast client real estate requirements during budget cycles and oversee input of budget data into the tool (tenant forecast and projects)
- Identify and develop plans for short, medium and long-term real estate needs and coordinate the resources necessary to meet those needs
- Ensure that the real estate objectives and the implementation of strategic real estate plans are clearly and appropriately communicated to the client-agencies and other departments
- Provides building management services for facilities owned or operated by the District
- Ensure that the SmartDGS database is maintained by their team with timely, accurate and up-to-date occupancy, project and Asset Management information
On an ongoing basis Portfolio is responsible for locating and negotiating a diversity of space needs such as:
- Office space
- Warehouse space
- Parking facilities
- Human service demands, such as shelters
DGS Interest in Real Property
The District intends to acquire an interest in the following real properties, either through purchase or lease, as I indicated below.
|Property Address||Property Square Footage||Proposed Lease Term||Agency||Use Type||Acquisition or Lease|
|4409 Minnesota Ave NE||26,470||15 Years||Fire Emergency Medical Services (FEMS)||FEMS Fire Station||Lease|
|1724 South Capitol Street SE||42,208||3 Years||Metropolitan Police Department (MPD)||Heliport HQ||Lease|
|2115 Bryant Street NE||140,658 (land) 41,250 (building)||N/A||Parking||Lease|
DGS Portfolio Managed Programs
Portfolio is not just limited to providing services to District agencies, but also provides services to constituents through unique programs.
Eastern Market is entirely managed by the Portfolio Division, which secures vendors and provides activates on weekends and nights.
The Out Lease Program
The Out Lease program is a program that Portfolio monitors on behalf of the District, such as the food courts at One Judiciary Square (OJS) and leasing out space that is District owned.
Portfolio Division Resources
- Agency Relocations
- Bundy Athletic Field Usage and Scheduling
- Eastern Market
- Fletcher-Johnson Athletic Field Usage and Scheduling
- Property Search
- Reuse and Redevelopment of Surplus School Buildings
- Schedule Usage of School Facilities (DCPS)
- SmartDGS (*DC Employee access, only)