Teachers – DCPS Only
- Check your classroom supplies. You should have a blue bin with a label for paper only and a black or gray bin for trash.
- Review the Classroom Recycling Acceptable Items (Lista de Materiales Que Son Aceptados en el Salon) to recycle right in your classroom.
- Start a school green team to either start or improve a recycling program. If your school already has a green team, see how you can get involved.
- Participate in DGS Competitions and Challenges or organize your own!
- Integrate real world recycling activities into your curriculum using Recycle Right Competition Curriculum-Linked Lesson Plans.
- Conduct a school waste audit. Use the DCPS Recycles! Waste Datasheet and report your data back to DGS.
- Conduct a cafeteria waste audit using the instructions for How to Conduct a School Cafeteria Waste Audit.
- Start a classroom worm bin using DPR’s Classroom Worm Bin How-To Guide
- Play the Sort-It-Out Game and Recycling Relay Race with students to make sure they know what materials go in which bin.
- Organize a field trip. See our Field Trip List about recycling, composting, reuse, nature and more.
- Pre-K teachers: Check out Resources for the Creative Curriculum® Recycling Unit for ideas on integrating recycling into the pre-k curriculum.
- Read our Success Stories for ideas on how to improve your school recycling program.
- At the end of the school year, follow these Locker Clean-out Tips with your students.
- Check out other recycling resources from DC Department of Public Works.